You can use Google's Gmail service to send and receive mail via our servers. This is a very fast and easy way to view mail, but requires a lot of explaining to set up.
Why do this?
- You can send mail using the address you have with us (firstname.lastname@example.org rather than email@example.com).
- You will automatically receive all mail into Gmail, lightening the resource usage of your hosting account (more resources for other things).
- You can store more than 7GB of mail.
- It's a very fast webmail system
- It's accessible from any browser anywhere in the world.
- Less chance of your mail being marked as spam when sent via Gmail.
- In case we have to restore a backup of your site, it won't affect your email.
Note: This process has a quite a few steps. We can save you the hassle and do it for you for $28. Just let us know.
First step: Sign up for a Gmail account if you haven't already.
Set up sending mail (instructions by Google):
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click Settings and select the Accounts tab.
- Under Send mail as, click Add another email address.
- In the 'Email address' field, enter your name and alternate email address.
- Use Gmail's servers to send your mail (this is easier to set up)
- Click Next Step >> and then click Send Verification. Gmail will send a verification message to your other email address to confirm that you own it.
- Open your other account and either click the link in the message Gmail sent or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Gmail settings.
Note: Your Gmail address will still be included in your email header's sender field, to help prevent your mail from being marked as spam. Most email clients don't display the sender field, though some versions of Microsoft Outlook may display "From firstname.lastname@example.org on behalf of email@example.com." For this reason, if you don't want 'on behalf of' to appear in any of your messages, we recommend using the SMTP servers for XPC Web Hosting.
Set up receiving mail:
Note: After completing these instructions, your mail will be automatically fowarded to your Gmail account and no longer available via our webmail.
- Log in to your Plesk control panel (view this article if you don't know how).
- Click Home on the left.
- Click your domain name on the right/middle.
- Find and click the Mail icon.
- Click the email account you want to forward email from.
- Click the Redirect icon.
- Tick the Redirect box and type your Gmail email address in the box (ex. firstname.lastname@example.org).